Finnegans Wake / 8.5 Deck
Regular price $70.00
- Artwork by Dave Carnie
- Manufactured at PS Stix (Heat Transfer)
Dimensions: 8.5 x 32.125
- Specs: Nose: 7.125 / Tail: 6.75 / WB: 14.25
- Bonus: Because Dave is the smartest of us all, we insisted he make a zine to accompany his board as an explanation for the "Mime ..." graphic inspired by James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. And make one he did. Twenty pages. Chock full o' the words, both real and imaginary, that would make any Irish literary drunk proud.
- Extra Bonus: A bookmark. Yes, that's right, this deck comes with a damn bookmark, because how stupid would we have to be to dedicate a board series to a few of our favorite authors and not include a complimentary bookmark designed by Dave Carnie, a writer who has indisputably generated more words-per-square-inch in the history of skateboarding than any other individual? No book is included, of course, but if you need a few suggestions to buy or check out from your local library while you still have one in this Land of the Free: Ulysses, by James Joyce (or, if you're feeling exceptionally brave and bold, Finnegans Wake); Molloy, by Samuel Beckett; and Summer's End, by Danielle Steel.
- Note: All sales are final. Can't say that any simpler. Unless the product is defective in the manufacturing sense, we will not accept any returns—in other words, you bot it, you bought it.
- Product Description: I admire Dave. A lot. So when I first came to know him and his writings I wanted him to admire me as well. That was asking a lot, I know, because years later when we were at a bar together he basically told me that I was someone he normally wouldn't like… yet did… and he found that confusing. Does he remember saying that now? Probably not. I can't remember over half of what I guess I wrote 25 years ago, let alone crap I threw into a blog post from a few months ago. Anyway, my point is, I really wanted to read James Joyce to impress him. Stupid, I know, but not as stupid as I felt when I realized I couldn't read Joyce. I tried, yes, got a few challenging chapters into Ulysses and realized I was drowning in words way over my head and conveniently "forgot" to keep reading any further. And now, from what I've gleaned about Finnegans Wake through Dave's accompanying "I Read Books" zine, is that if I'd tried to tackle that one first I probably would've curled up in a fetal ball with the dimwitted resignation that I could only muster up enough intellect to read tripe off the "New York Times Bestseller" vine after reading the introductory sentence alone. That said, this is hands down the best and most intellectually well thought out board in our li'l literary line if not the history of skateboard graphics in whole. Bravo, Dave. Too bad you crafted it in a horizontal format, which precluded it from our initial marketing campaign for the series. —Cliver
- Warning: Since the dawn of mankind, top stain veneers come in a variety of colors and the one shown here is for display purposes only. In other words, we cannot guarantee a specific color so please be pleasantly surprised with the one you receive and not get all bent and butt-hurt about it.